Substitute Services

Thank you for considering substituting as an employment option. Substituting is a job that is flexible with your personal schedule. However, being a substitute is an important component in the Topeka Public Schools. Principals, teachers, parents and students gain value and benefit from a good substitute. As a vital member of our professional and classified team, you can offer an important contribution to the educational instruction of our students.

Classification of Substitutes

Substitute Teachers

Substitute Teachers

A Substitute Teacher either holds a Kansas Teaching Certificate, Standard Substitute License or an Emergency License. An Education degree is needed for a Teaching Certificate and Standard Substitute License. The primary requirement for an Emergency Substitute License is a minimum of 60 semester hours of college credit from a regionally accredited college or university.

The State Emergency Substitute License application packet is available in the Substitute Office. This packet contains:

  • State's application for an Emergency Substitute License
  • Fingerprint card

Mail to the State Board of Education:

  • The completed Emergency Substitute License application
  • Set of original transcripts
    • Baccalaureate degree transcripts and graduate degree transcripts if a graduate degree has been earned. If no baccalaureate degree has been earned, submit transcripts verifying a minimum of 60 semester hours.
    • NO photocopies of transcripts will be accepted.
  • Check or money order for $ 60.00 for the Application Fee
  • Check or money order for $ 50.00 for the Background Check Fee


Working for Topeka Public Schools entitles you to get your fingerprints taken by a district police officer at no charge. You can schedule an appointment with any of the following locations:

785-438-4401 – Bishop Elementary, 3601 SW 31st St.
785-274-6048 – Highland Park High School, 2424 SE California
785-295-3150 – Topeka High School, 800 SW 10th Street
785-438-4002 – Topeka West High School, 2001 SW Fairlawn Rd.

Renewing Your License

Renewing your license before the expiration date will save you the cost of another background check.  You can apply online at the KSDE Website.

Classified Substitutes

Topeka Public Schools place substitutes in the following positions:

  • Office
  • Paraeducators
  • Food Service Worker
  • Custodians
  • Nurses, LPN and Health Aides

If you are interested in substituting for any of the positions listed, fill out an application online. Upon review and approval of your application, you may be contacted for an interview with the Substitute Services Coordinator.